Wednesday, June 15, 2016

Overheard

Now that the kids are older (ish), they can get themselves up on a Saturday and fix a modest breakfast.  So on the weekends, Dan and I typically sleep in.  For me that means 9:30am, for Dan...well, let's just say he has the whole hibernation thing down.

I came down the stairs one Saturday morning to find Sydney playing in the sunroom (her "classroom") and Jack on the couch watching cartoons.  As I am nearing the bottom of the steps, she calls to him politely, "Jacky, can you please help me with something?"

"Sure Syd, what is it?" he asks as he walks into the sunroom.

I stop, and hover on the stairs, not sure I'm fully awake.

"I can't open this marker" she complained.

"Oh, here, let me try...there you go!"  He turns to leave. I continue to eavesdrop.

"Thank you Jack!" She hollers at his back.

"You're welcome Syd."

"I love you Jack!!"  Even louder.

Patient but weary, Jack says over his shoulder, "I love you too Syd."

Never one to be satisfied, she calls loudly, "Can I have a hug too?  Just a real quick one."

"OK," Jack mutters as he turns and plods back into the sunroom.

One quick squeeze and it's over, he's back on the couch, she's back to bossing around imaginary students.  A fleeting moment of brotherly-sisterly love that brought me to tears.  Then the tears continued when I saw the mess in the kitchen.

Gotta love them.

No comments:

Post a Comment