Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Labor Day Weekend

The weekend was fabulous. After our house-guests left, we took Jack and the old folks (read Mom and Dad) to Pullen Park to ride the train and boats. It was a time.

So because my Mom's pool is closing for the summer, we decided to have a last-minute Labor Day dinner party--only 3 people showed up, and I bet you can guess who they were! We wanted to have supper under the beautiful NC setting sun, so I fried up bacon and took two big, fat tomatoes to have BLTs. (What I won't mention is that I forgot both lettuce and bread. But I did remember chips, pickles and utensils!)

It was a fabulous evening, and Jack swam (and dove willy-nilly, GOD how much he trusts that I will be there--it's terrifying) all over the pool, ordering everyone around, and then took a 10 minute outdoor shower. I think that the shower is his favorite part. He can stand under the warm water and survey his domain. He happily bathed while we all ate our dinner (Dan ran to the store to get lettuce and bread, and shockingly, beer).

We went back to my Mom's house, soggy and full, and Jack proceeded to play at my Mom's makeup table. I suppose it's called a "vanity" but we don't live in the 1920s and it's basically a desk with a mirror. He loves to play with the brushes and pencils and pots, pretending to organize and make himself beautiful. I am not alarmed by this--I used to pretend to shave my "beard" with my father. Plus I think that it's healthy for Jack to have an early notion of all of the crap that women do to look nice. If he starts shaving his legs, then I will worry.

The day was a success, even Dan was grinningly satisfied. No Labor was done, especially considering my disorganized picnic dinner, and we were all content to be outside, together and demonstrably not working.

No comments:

Post a Comment