I periodically get together with a few of my old co-workers (and by "old" I mean me; they are 28) and we have dinner and drinks at our favorite Mexican place. I look forward to these evenings, because they don't occur often (it takes a lot of planning), and they are invariably hilarious.
Last night did not disappoint, and as I arrived home, full of enchiladas and bonhomie, I realized that I had missed a SCENE here. Instantly I was excited; both to have avoided the SCENE and also to hear Dan's recounting of said SCENE (he is a very animated storyteller).
Apparently, things got a little out of control after I departed. My aunt and uncle had stopped by to visit, and Jack, like a shark sensing that his weaker prey (Dan) had become preoccupied, had decided to go in for the figurative kill...and jump ship. Evidently he snuck outside while the uncle was on his cell phone on the front porch; Dan assumed that uncle was watching Jack, and uncle assumed that Dan had given Jack permission to flee the vicinity...which he did with great speed for someone who is usually SO SLOW TO FOLLOW DIRECTIONS.
After awhile Dan noticed that the uncle was back inside but Jack was not, so he inquired as to Jack's whereabouts. The uncle, looking confused, said, "Oh, he left...didn't you know?" The uncle leans over to peer out of a window. "Yeah, see? There he goes."
Dan runs to the window to see Jack entering our neighbor's house.
According to our neighbor, Jack had apparently strolled over, noticed a package on their porch, rang the doorbell and offered the package, and barged right in as if he were invited. This awesome neighbor, who is himself saddled with two kids while his wife is traveling for work, graciously (and unquestioningly) accepted Jack's self-invite and, until Dan's arrival, had been waiting patiently for the other shoe to drop. (He is a more seasoned, and therefor much wiser parent than the two idiots that live here.)
Eventually Jack was successfully extracted and returned home, and promptly pajama-ed. I got here just in time to tell him goodnight and then hear this wonderful story. It was like icing on my cake.
Tuesday, April 27, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
ReplyDelete