Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Hyphenmania

Hey look!  Only a 3 month delay!  This is the least efficient blog ever.

I honestly did write this in March, but things prevented me from posting here until now.  LUCKY YOU!

-------------------------------

We just returned from Colorado, where we spent 10 glorious days not working (wheeee!) and skiing (WHEEEEE!) with some drinking, laughing, and a whole lot of babies/sleeping mixed in. Our friends who live in Littleton (right outside of Denver) hosted us, and even transported us all of the way up into the little rocky nest known as Steamboat. Luckily, I managed to take 4,612 photos during this journey.


The Base of the Rockies

We hadn't been out to Colorado since I was pregnant with Sydney, and against the (OFTEN REPEATED) advice of many people, I did ski. Some of you are gasping. I, however, am doing a very hilarious Samuel L. Jackson impression that involves some unsavory words and air-kicking. Relax, nothing bad happened. (And I even skied a black! *maniacal laugh*) THIS trip was insanely more fun because a) there was NO BARFING, b) there were no FETUSES, and c) I had a King-sized bed to sleep in. Actually there were d-zz more reasons, including 42" of gorgeous champagne powder and lunch cocktails.


36" of New Powder the Second Morning

Everyone had a great time, including Jack, who managed to climb through three levels of peeweeski school, a feat which may sound relatively average, but if you knew this bumbling child first-hand, you would understand that this is near-Herculean. It made my vacation so enjoyable to pick him up from his snowy school all rosy-cheeked and beaming...and demanding hot chocolate.


Sippers

Sydney is too little for ski school, so she was forced to stay back at the house with a nanny and two twin boys. I know, her karma is shitty. It's her own fault. Luckily, she is smart, mean, and fast enough to evade 1.5 year-old meatballs. I, however, was not as on-my-toes and suffered several nasty yanks of hair, inside-of-the-arm pinches that hurt worse than giving birth, as well as a few claws to the legs. Honestly it was like having two incredibly strong shrunken, and also very incoherently drunk, men to take care of. These kids have a PHYSIQUE. They were both terrifying and eye-wateringly adorable. I spent most of my time avoiding them or squeezing them in mama bear hugs (which were also the only effective way of contact without the pinches/yanks/claws). My extreme awe and esteem to their mother, who maybe should have thought better about procreating with a crazy Army Ranger turned Law Enforcement Agent who can eat an entire large pizza and wings in one sitting, AND goes heli-skiing in Alaska for fun. This man also affectionately calls me by the nickname "Crazy." Must be like calling a bald man Curly, right?


Descent to Denver


We survived the trip with zero injuries, two miserable colds (Dan and I) and no citations for choking a child on an airplane...so better than I was expecting. Sydney was kept in (relative) control on the plane via jelly beans and Nemo and my indulging her in 9 trips to the bathroom. She loved the tiny lavatory, and also announcing to the entire cabin as she pranced back to her seat that "I peed on the little potty! And so did Mommy!"

No comments:

Post a Comment