Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Exile in Guyville

It's been forever.  I know.  I KNOW!  The past year has been a doozy, for lots of reasons, and I honestly didn't think that sharing them would be productive or healthy, or, in some cases, entirely legal.

Now, however, I am feeling the pull of a beautiful spring about to spring (albeit LATE) and I'm trying to breathe some life into my poor, dry, brittle blog.

I'm the kind of person who enjoys being excited...for our purposes, I mean this in a PG way.  My children have both inherited this trait...you can see it in the flapping of their baby bird wings whenever something has the prospect of being exciting; a new movie to watch, baby birds in the birdhouse, having lunch out in the backyard, EASTER CANDY!

It usually makes me so happy to write about my family, my life, and the things that made me laugh, but it became a struggle to find things that I was enthusiastic about there for awhile.  Life can be draining, and even someone who considers themselves to be an optimist is not immune from what Dan and I have started to call "Lifesuck."

Lifesuck can be a literal emotion (life is sucking), a noun (much like the tide, the Lifesuck makes you want to stay in bed, or shave your head a la Britney Spears), or a verb (this four-hour parent-teacher conference LIFESUCKS.).

We've come up with several ways to combat the dreaded Lifesuck, and here is what we have so far:

  • Bourbon!
  • Bad Jokes (What did Jay-Z call his girlfriend before they got married? ...Feyoncè!)
  • Exercise (you've got to run, run like the wind, to be free again)
  • Bourbon!
  • Baking cookies
  • Good books
  • Bad books
  • Bourbon!
  • Date nights
  • Kissing sleeping children
  • Hugs from my parents
  • Crying in the shower (environmentally friendly in that you don't need tissues!)
  • Looking at pictures of bunnies on the internet
Please feel free to add to this list.  It's a living document that I'm sure we will rely on for the next 14 years or so.

No comments:

Post a Comment