Now that video games have become an integral part of everyone in this family's daily life (mine by default), there is a heightened level of supervision that I maintain to a) ensure that in-game communications are not unhealthy or gross, b) no one is being harassed (or being a harasser), and c) that I can marvel and laugh at the language shortcuts that these kids use. Sydney is especially well versed in acronyms, to my delight.
Jack plays a lot of games with friends in the same room, so I overhear the mostly friendly pre-teen trash talk, which is in of itself nothing short of hilarious. Sometimes, with his older friend, Dan and I hear some swearing, which is nipped in the bud...but not without my giggles.
Outside of these situations, I really don't have to correct them about using undesirable language, but occasionally it does happen, and I've chosen to let it go when it is genuinely merited. After all, Dan could not be considered PG by any stretch of the imagination, so they understand when it's appropriate to swear.
Cut to the other night, when I noticed from downstairs that Sydney's light was still on in her room, despite it being past her bedtime. I called up to her, asking why it was still on, and she responded that she was "getting situated for bedtime."
A few minutes later I saw that it was still on, so I called up again, and told her that she definitely needed to turn the light OFF. She did, and after a minute I heard her mutter to herself, "Great, now I can't see SHIT."
I ran around the corner to regale Dan with how well his teachings were taking hold. Now whenever we turn off the lights for bed, one of us will observe that now, we cannot indeed see SHIT.
I wish I could permanently turn the lights off in the play room.
Jack plays a lot of games with friends in the same room, so I overhear the mostly friendly pre-teen trash talk, which is in of itself nothing short of hilarious. Sometimes, with his older friend, Dan and I hear some swearing, which is nipped in the bud...but not without my giggles.
Outside of these situations, I really don't have to correct them about using undesirable language, but occasionally it does happen, and I've chosen to let it go when it is genuinely merited. After all, Dan could not be considered PG by any stretch of the imagination, so they understand when it's appropriate to swear.
Cut to the other night, when I noticed from downstairs that Sydney's light was still on in her room, despite it being past her bedtime. I called up to her, asking why it was still on, and she responded that she was "getting situated for bedtime."
A few minutes later I saw that it was still on, so I called up again, and told her that she definitely needed to turn the light OFF. She did, and after a minute I heard her mutter to herself, "Great, now I can't see SHIT."
I ran around the corner to regale Dan with how well his teachings were taking hold. Now whenever we turn off the lights for bed, one of us will observe that now, we cannot indeed see SHIT.
I wish I could permanently turn the lights off in the play room.

No comments:
Post a Comment