Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Check It Out!

Jack has started speaking in complete sentences. It happened out of the blue. Instead of slowly getting words out and stumbling over the hard ones, he now talks like an actual person. This is alternately hilarious and terrible. Now he has the capacity to tell me what he REALLY thinks, and it is not always something that I want to hear.

For instance, I was making him clean up his toys, and by "clean up" I mean shovel them out of the living room and into the toy room. He was losing steam and I was encouraging him in my sweet, motherly way to hurry up when he stood up and looked at me with his hands on his hips. He pointedly told me, "I want to go to Su-Su's house. And I want YOU to stay here." Luckily I have a fantastic sense of humor so I was able to resist calling him a taxi.

Another day we were eating dinner at my parents house and Jack was drinking milk out of a childhood mug of mine that has a small pink dog in the bottom who peeps up through the liquid when you've drank enough. Jack was slurping away and finally saw the dog. "Hey!" he said, "there is a dog in my cup. Check it out!" And he perilously tipped the cup in my direction so that I could see it. "It's PINK Mommy. Not orange, or red, or white, or blue, OK?" I could only nod in agreement. Maybe he will be an educator...or else it's just that he subscribes to the philosophy of most 3-year olds: parents are idiots.

No comments:

Post a Comment