Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Because I Like A Challenge

For the past 4 years Dan has been running his own company, which makes me both very proud and very busy. He has to handle things all over town so he is often gone for a week at a time traveling for business. I am very lucky to have my family close by to lean on when I need to, and despite the consensus that I am taking on too much having two kids on my own for 4+ nights at a time, I have to say that I think it's good for me.

On Sunday nights, as much as I dread him leaving, I have come to realize that I really do relish my temporary alone time. I LIKE missing him. I love having my bed to myself and then getting tired of that. I love having only my own palette to please for a few nights and then wishing I was cooking for two. I enjoy the temporary frustration of having to do everything on my own and by myself, but then to be rescued! It is good exercise for a marriage when someone disappears for awhile and you can see what a big hole they leave in your life--but then you get the repeated joy of reuniting and also NO FIGHTS BECAUSE I MISS YOU. The extended separation means that we can unerringly point out what we need and value about our togetherness, and spend time enjoying those things when we are together, as opposed to fighting about the banal frustrations of life. I can see how silly it is to get mad at him for leaving giant clothes everywhere and instead try to see them as parachute-sized reminders that he is home! Yay!

[Also, Dan, when you do come home, please take out the garbage, feed the dogs and read Jack 231 bedtime stories. KTHANKS!]

1 comment:

  1. I completely relate to every single word of this.

    ReplyDelete